Madurai is a favourite destination for many travellers because of the abundance of temples there. Kanyakumari, Rameshwaram, Madurai Tour Packages are common among South Indians as a pleasure cum holy trip. If you think that Madurai has nothing more to offer other than the temples, then you are wrong! Madurai food is something which you must never miss!
Madurai’s Own Taste!
Madurai has a lot of options to please the foodie in you. This includes restaurants, road side food stalls and hotels from where you can relish on authentic South Indian food. Paruthi Pal, Jil Jil Jigarthanda, Sweet sugar cane juice, etc. are some of the Madurai Specialities, the tastes of which would stay fondly forever on your taste buds.
There is a yummy fruit drink which is sold near the Meenakshi Amman Temple. It has got no specific name, but the taste would definitely make you tell ‘what’s there in a name’! The dosa and Pongal available in the roadside stalls are the other mouth-watering treats in Madurai. You will be surprised by the number of dosa varieties that you can try there!
Special features of Madurai Cuisine
Madurai is located close to a number of famous places. Madurai is included in the IRCTC Rameshwaram tour package also as it is located close to Rameshwaram. The Chettinadu region which is famous for its flavours is just at a distance of two hours’ drive from Madurai. Hence the Madurai cuisine is a union of many influences. Famous Chettinadu delicacies like paniyaram, idiyappam, kuzhambu, kothu parotta are all widely available in Madurai.
The Madurai Biriyani is spicier compared to Hyderabadi and other versions. Abundant use of freshly ground masalas is what gives the special flavour to Madurai dishes. Madurai cuisine includes a wide variety of fried snacks as well.
Food is available at almost any time. Street stalls open early in the morning and work until midnight.
A Few Good Restaurants
The food options in Madurai are numerous. A look at the reviews of the IRCTC tour packages list is enough to understand how popular Madurai cuisine is among the travellers. Here is the list of a few restaurants which you must visit!
- Murugan Idli Shop– Famous for their super soft and steaming hot idlis with a variety of chutneys.
- Arya Bhavan– Try out the really big dosa here! You would have never seen such big dosas anywhere else! This restaurant is located at the junction of the West Masi Street and Dindigul Road.
- Modern Restaurant– A slight North Indian twist in Madurai! This restaurant is famous for its chilli paranthas.
- Temple View Roof Top Restaurant–A classy restaurant to enjoy a lot of veg and non-veg delicacies. This is located in Hotel Park Plaza.
- Ruby restaurant– This is a garden restaurant with an amazing ambience. Ruby restaurant is very famous for its Tandoori items. They are open until midnight and is located on the West Perumal Maisury Street.
So, don’t forget to experience the yummy food and drinks in Madurai. Explore and experience it all so that the trip leaves your taste buds delighted as well!